- 120g or ½ cup popping corn
- 1.5 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ tbsp. maple syrup or honey (optional, omit if you prefer savoury popcorn)
- Pinch of sea salt to taste
- Heat a saucepan (with lid) over medium heat.
- Add the coconut oil and melt, then add the maple syrup (if using).
- Add just a few kernels into the pan and wait for them to pop to test when the oil is hot enough to pop the corn.
- Once the test kernels have popped, place the rest of the kernels into the pan and cover.
- After the kernels begin popping, begin to shake every 10 seconds or so until you the popping slows.
- Remove from heat and continuously shake for another 10-20 seconds.
- Pour into a bowl, salt to taste and enjoy.
Plain popcorn is a great snack providing whole grains, fibre and antioxidants. Making it with coconut oil is healthier than other oils and provides a source of medium-chain fats which increase the amount of energy that our bodies burn and boosts metabolism. Coconut oil is also anti-fungal.